President Donald Trump said on Friday that he got another letter from North Korea’s Kim Jong Un on Thursday amidst stalled talks over the program’s nuclear weapons program and Kim’s recent rocket launches.
Interested inNorth Korea?
Include North Korea as an interest to stay up to date on the most recent North Korea news, video, and analysis from ABC News.
Trump said the missive was 3 pages, hand-delivered, “really favorable,” and “really beautiful,” talking to reporters as he left the White House.
NEW: Pres. Trump states he got a “really lovely letter” from North Korean leader Kim Jong Un the other day, adding that he believes they will have another conference: “Maybe I’ll launch the results of the letter, but it was really favorable.” https://t.co/OFio8pEV2n pic.twitter.com/PaMA4syfpF
— ABC News Politics (@ABCPolitics) August 9, 2019
The note is not the only message Kim has actually sent the U.S. Throughout 2 weeks, North Korea has actually introduced 4 rounds of short-range ballistic missile, although Trump again dismissed those tests Friday.
“There have been no nuclear tests. The missile tests have all been short-range, no ballistic rocket tests, no long-range rockets,” Trump stated, although the Pentagon has actually identified that all 4 rounds were of short-range ballistic missiles.
Those launches have actually been both a way for the regime to enhance its missile capability and to send a message to the U.S. and South Korea to halt its joint military exercises that it thinks about “dry run” and a pretext to an intrusion of the North.
“He wasn’t delighted with the dry run … I have actually never ever liked it either,” Trump said. “You know why? I don’t like spending for it.”
In March, the U.S. and South Korea stopped their massive spring military workout in order to offer Trump’s diplomatic efforts space. That yearly exercise was regularly objected by Pyongyang as intriguing.
Instead, the U.S. has actually been holding new exercises at lower command levels to allow both U.S. and South Korean forces to preserve their preparedness, consisting of the continuous workouts now which are mainly computer system simulated.
Trump revealed assistance for those due to the fact that they also include South Korea taking command of joint military forces on the peninsula to fight North Korea: “I like that because that’s what must occur.”
Regardless Of Trump and Kim’s total displeasure with exercises, Defense Secretary Mark Esper stated Tuesday there are no plans to downsize future military workouts “at this moment.”
The letter comes as the U.S. continues to wait for North Korea to release working-level talks on the “complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula” that the 2 leaders concurred to at their first summit in Singapore.
Esper went to South Korea Friday for a series of conferences, informing South Korean President Moon Jae Because the U.S. hopes to arrange talks “as early as possible,” according to Moon’s office.
Those talks were set to start “probably around the middle of” July, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo stated on June 30 after Trump and Kim satisfied briefly at the Demilitarized Zone in between the North and South.
After nearly 6 weeks, nevertheless, the 2 sides haven’t fulfilled. Pompeo said Wednesday his unique envoy Stephen Biegun and his group are “preparing for negotiations in a couple of weeks.” When asked by a reporter whether the missile launches are “dampening the environment” for talks, Pompeo responded flatly: “No.”
Analysts say there will be no progress without working-level settlements on how to dismantle the regime’s nuclear weapons program and lift United Nations sanctions, even if there is another top between Trump and Kim.
Pompeo said last month there were no plans for one, although Trump stated Friday they might satisfy again.
Trump also touted the success of his engagement with Kim in bringing home the remains of U.S. service members killed in the Korean War. North Korea handed over 55 sets of remains in July 2018, however ever since, the Pentagon office tasked with dealing with the concern has halted operations because North Korea has actually stopped engaging them.